Thursday, October 24, 2019

Thing 11: Finding presentations and podcasts

This Thing is about online learning content from presentations and podcasts.

I really enjoy listening to TED talks; they're often really well put together, and given by experts in the particular field to what the talk is about. Content like this is a really useful way for the average person, like my self, to get a glimpse into many different areas of science. For example, as a mechanical engineer, my knowledge on genetics is pretty awful, but none-the-less, I thoroughly enjoy listed to talks about genetic research, particularity issues relating to drug-resistant bacteria. I often listen to these talks on YouTube but through the TED site is just as good.

The OpenCourseWare from MIT on YouTube, also has some very high quality videos, even ones on musical improvisation (which I plan to check out later!).

For presentations, I've come across Slideshare a few times, and have found it useful for introductory and basic content for a verity of things. That being said, there are often little of no references for the figures of data used in the presentations I have seen, which limits the use of them to the starting point of an investigation into a topic.

More in-depth study can be found from online courses; Coursera and Futurelearn are both good examples of free courses. Corrosion is the crux of my EngD, and sadly only Coursera had a relevant course - 'Protecting the World: Introducing Corrosion Science and Engineering', but still there are many on Futurelearn that seem generally interesting too, such as The Many Faces of Dementia, or a series on learning Jazz Piano! (Also planning on checking that out...)

Thanks for reading, see you soon! Also, here's a picture of a mushroom that I took at the weekend - I think it's a Coprinus comatus!


Picture by Jacob Pimenta-Richardson (c)







No comments:

Post a Comment